Monday, June 9, 2008

Birthday Smershday

My birthday was yesterday and now a days it is never what I expect it to be. So what is a birthday suppose to be when a person gets older? I only had a couple of birthday parties when I was younger, but nothing like what I do for my children. As far as I can remember I only had two parties as a child, I guess that is why I do what I do for my children. I had one when I was 8 and 16. I remember them precisely from my 8 and 16 year old mind. I remember what I got at those two birthdays and almost all of the people that came. I think I missed one or two, but I remember most.

Anyway, my birthday was celebrated during family reunion. As it was last year too. I really don't like celebrating it camping. My in-laws go out for others and make sure they have a nice birthday, but it never seems to happen for me. They do always wish me a Happy Birthday and give me a nice card with moola. Which I love getting. But having it up in the mountains the day just goes by like any other.

On top of things we had to hurry back for Orlando to be ordained as Elder's Quorum President. That was a great emotional experience, but my birthday just kept going by. I also was extremely exhausted from the camping. Being sunburned, tired and knowing I still have to put away things was not exciting.

So I ask again, what does a person do the older they get for a birthday? Birthday parties seem to be way out there the older you get --unless you are hitting a mile marker like 25 or 50. And just hanging out isn't that much fun either. I'm trying to think what I would really want to celebrate my day and I am not sure.

Maybe I would love it if some friends (and their spouses) came over and hung out while we played games, eat treats, gabbed, and just had some GREAT, roll on the floor laughter. All at the same time having the chance to be CENTER of the attendtion since it is my special day and I don't get a chance to be the center very often. Then again I might like to be just recognized and pampered with a haircut/hairdo, manicure, pedicure, and maybe even a massage. Then go out to the movies, dinner, or hang out with some friends. I don't think I would want a big party, maybe I would but I am not sure. I have never been to a FUN party when I have gotten older. Maybe parties are just for the children? Don't know.

What would be your greatest fantasy of a great birthday for 'being one year older and wiser too'? I just know that I am another year older, not really any wiser, than I was last year. So to me right now my thoughts are: Birthday Smershday -- not that big of a deal because I have never really had that many memorable days in the past -- just another day.

3 comments:

SuperCoolMom said...

I like to do the planning for my own birthday. I don't leave it to chance. I'm not really one for big parties, but I make sure that I've got at least one family party, a dinner with the hubby, and a girls lunch/brunch somewhere in my birthday week. I try to drag it out for two weeks whenever possible.

Crazymamaof6 said...

yeah i am always bitter about my birthday too! this year i totally got shafted. and hmmm, oh yeah had a graduation party the night of. which while i was happy for the nephew i wanted my own day. and really i want a day off for it. with Money to spend, lots of it. and a little pampering, like a pedicure and shopping. i did get to go out a couple times but it wasn't all about me. it was fun though. i'd have a party. with gifts, and good food. spouses are optional, since the logistics of having babysitters makes it harder.

hope you get a day of fun for yourself. and GOSH i hate getting the shaft for my birthday from people that do more for others. i REALLY hate that!

Andrea said...

Hi Allison! Ok I'm such a dork!! I haven't checked my gmail in forever! Well, I guess it's at least a month. I just now saw that you have a new blog!

WELCOME to blogger!!! Are you lovin' it?

BTW - HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! (late) I forgot since you were gone! Camping on your birthday...hmmm not sure if that's the BEST way to celebrate unless it's what YOU asked for. My bday is easily forgotten since it's a week and a half after Christmas! I have to plan my own stuff if I want to do anything. So, usually we don't do too much. I've even made my own cake & dinner. I think my bday was on Sunday this year and I begged my hubby to go get Olive Garden take-out and I didn't want cake so we didn't do that either. I got a big cone from Cold Stone Creamery (online bday coupon)!

Anyway, hope you enjoyed yours a little and maybe next year will be BETTER!!!